Made in America: The Midwest

Hennepin Made cofounder Joe Limpert takes us behind the scenes of his creative process. Plus, we share more handmade products from the Midwest.

Joe Limpert, co-founder of Hennepin Made in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Midwest

Joe Limpert, Cofounder of Hennepin Made

Minneapolis, Minnesota

I initially went to school to study ceramics at the University of Wisconsin Madison, but I discovered the glass program and was immediately hooked. Here, we’re making the Celeste, one of our new pendant designs. It consists of a fairly long blown-glass cylinder with this really beautiful, elegant fade of white to clear.

Joe Limpert, co-founder of Hennepin Made in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Joe Limpert, co-founder of Hennepin Made in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Photo: Benjamin Rasmussen

I’m the gaffer, so I’m the captain of the team. My job is to direct everyone so we have consistency throughout the production session. I have a lot of trust in their skills.

Photo by Benjamin Rasmussen

I want people who buy one of these to celebrate their handmade nature, knowing that each one is going to have its own aspects—you’ll see some marks of the hand and the tools. The fade is going to vary from piece to piece.

Photo by Benjamin Rasmussen

See the full story on Dwell.com: Made in America: The Midwest
Related stories:

No comments:

Post a Comment